Join me as I wander through forests of fiber, beads, fleece, yarn, paint, fabric, clay, wax, and wood for knitting, spinning, weaving, molding, sewing, felting, melting and anything else I happen upon...

Friday, February 17, 2006

Rug Jacket it is.

The Sweaters from Camp (SFC) Knit along has officially started. After reading through both patterns today I have decided to attempt the Afghanistan rug jacket. I was having some concerns about the sizes of the finished sweaters. The shirt-tailed Hemmed has a chest measurement of 48”. Rug Jacket is 46”. Since I have started losing weight, I don't want to end up with something too big for me. I toyed with the idea of doing a vest, but the thoughts of bringing one more skein of yarn into the house is conjuring up images of the short film shown with Ice Age, where Scat the squirrel forces one more nut into his cache, only to start a whirlpool of events that left him, well, nutless.

So, I spent a bit of time reading and rereading the pattern last night. It is quite easy to understand the idea of knitting the sweater side to side rather than bottom to top. In fact the sweater is knit with a provisional cast-on from body center to cuff, then body center to cuff on the other side. To complicate it, it is knit in a tube, with steeks at the neck, and lower body and now I've already forgotten what happens along the length of the sleeve. I'm sure once I start knitting the geometry will become quite obvious, but for now I am having a hard time visualizing the 90 degree skew. It frustrates me even more, because before I became a SAHM I was a draftsman. My job was to visual 3d objects into 2d space and vice-versa. The moment my first child was born, some part of my brain shut down, and this is the result. The good thing is that a new part opened up and I now know exactly which set any given piece of lego goes to. Should come in handy should I need to return to the workforce.

Goal for this weekend is to winds balls and swatch. Should have a photo to post once that is done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bobby said...

I was thinking about switching from the Celtic Knots raglan to the same sweater (I would have knit it eventually anyway as I think it's pretty damned nice looking) but I'm having severe mental anguish over the mystical center shoulder stitch. Do you understand what is meant by "The row at left of each segment of charts A and B is center row stitch"? I half assume that she means the column of stitches at the very end of each pattern repeat, but I can't really tell, and the pictures aren't being much help. The patterning appears to be continuous, so it doesn't look lik there's a random break and then restart at the shoulder line.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

--Bobby

10:11 AM

 
Blogger Bobby said...

You know what? i figured it out. Sorry to clutter your blog with comments. ;-)

I just wasn't thinking correctly. In a very Wonka way, you have to go back to go forward. pfft.

10:35 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Sorry to reply so late Bobby, but glad it makes sense to you. There's quite a few head scratcher lines in this pattern...I went ahead and am charting the whole thing in Excel, so not much knitting has gotten done. Good luck on the Raglan!

4:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home